Monday, February 9, 2009

Which Is She; Noble Beast or Useless Creature?


So my dates at the Merriweather Post Pavilion didn't work out so well. I was trying too hard to make something out of nothing, to get past the coughing fits so I could feel cool while I smoked,

In retrospect, another lesson learned is that one must decide early on whether you are pursuing a Noble Beast or a Useless Creature. (These are the names of the new Andrew Bird discs, the former being the actual record and the latter being instrumental...segue to follow) Meaning one must look through the hype, past the posturing and around the makeup to figure out what you are sharing dinner with. Noble Beasts or Useless Creatures. Now I don't think there are dates who are truly useless, but there are situations that make the useless to you. Its just not your time for them, or their time for you...or for anyone else. Noble Beasts are multi-faceted. They give you something to come back to time and again. Hooks, melodies, harmonies, lyrics, layers. They are ready for you and you for them.

Segue to Andrew Bird. I once drove 5 hours to a Josh Ritter concert, the which Andrew Bird also played. I new some of Armchair Apocrypha so it wasn't a complete surprise. But it was a complete surprise. A rather eccentric performer he was and it was a breath of fresh air to me. (but to be honest got old after an hour and a half, but probably because I was pining for Mr. Ritter) But I left sold on the product, but not quite enough to become the president of the fan club.

I did buy the new album. And I bought it the morning of my gym date. Maybe this is like wanting to ask out the waitress, or at least making eyes at her, while you are on a date. Maybe I doomed the gym date from the start, but maybe it was dead before the ship even sailed. Either way the Merriweather Post Pavilion has proved to be a Useless Creature to me and Noble Beast is just that.

There is something new every time I come back to it. I remember songs from the live performance. That brings back good memories. Most importantly I don't have to talk myself into it, and I certainly don't hover over it on iTunes debating as to whether or not I want to try and make it work.

I am not going to try and talk you into Noble Beast, because it will come when you need it. But if you find yourself wasting your time elsewhere, it might be time to give up the useless creatures.

No comments: